Disability in the workplace
The Northern Territory Public Sector (NTPS) believes in having a diverse workforce that reflects the community it serves and is committed to making more job opportunities for people with disability.
The Northern Territory Public Sector (NTPS) aims to become an employer of choice for people with disability.
The overall goals of the EmployAbility Strategy are to:
- Increase the attraction and retention rates for people with disability
- Improve career opportunities in the NTPS for people with disability
- Raise awareness of the value that people with disability may bring to the workplace and increase disability confidence
- Create a workforce that better reflects the diversity of the community it serves.
The EmployAbility Strategy is designed to improve the participation of people with disability in the Northern Territory Public Sector. It gives agencies the tools, information and resources to help people with disability fulfill their potential in the workforce.
This Strategy focuses on four key focus areas:
- nurturing an inclusive workplace culture
- supporting attraction and retention practices
- supporting skills acquisition and career development
- promoting accessibility.
Read the EmployAbility Strategy .
Assistance for people with disability
The Northern Territory Public Sector helps people with disability in the workplace through the following programs, projects, support groups, networks and initiatives:
Job Access is a national organisation set up to advise employers and employees on matters relating to disability in the workforce in areas such as:
- financial support
- workplace modifications
- help with finding and changing jobs
- creating flexible work environments
- links to career advice and training courses
- connecting with employers, providers and peak bodies
- a range of other tools and resources for people with disability, employers and service providers.
For more information see www.jobaccess.gov.au or call a JobAccess adviser on 1800 464 800.
Disability employment services
Disability Employment Services provides specialist help for people with disability, injury or health condition who require support to find and maintain sustainable employment. Disability Employment Services are delivered by a network of organisations around Australia.
There are two programs within Disability Employment Services:
- Disability Management Service that provides help to people with disability, injury or health condition who require the assistance of a disability employment service and are not expected to need long-term or regular support in the workplace.
- Employment Support Service that assists people with permanent disability and with an assessed need for regular long-term ongoing support in the workplace.
Apply for assistance
Employers, people with disability and employment service providers may apply for assistance by completing an on-line Employment Assistance Fund application form. It may be useful to discuss any questions you may have with the JobAccess service on 1800 464 800.
JobAccess may be able to provide information about possible equipment, services and modifications and guide you through the application process.
The application process is designed to be flexible, simple and quick so that the person with disability gets the right assistance as soon as possible.
Disability Employment Program
Under the Disability Employment Program the Northern Territory Public Sector (NTPS) works in partnership with recognised Employment Support Services to provide employment opportunities for people with disability who are not able to be competitive in winning a job on the basis of merit.
Employment Support Services are contracted by the Australian Government. Those that specialise in disability provide support to job seekers to develop employment pathways that meet individual needs. They provide a wide range of services and support to the job seeker and to the workplace to help maintain sustainable employment.
The Disability Employment Program is a pathway program for people with disability to gain experience and skills and broaden their career options in the NTPS. The Program provides:
- employment on a temporary basis for a maximum of two years. Agencies are encouraged to consider permanent employment at the end of the temporary contract.
- flexibility in the hours of employment
The Employment Support Service is responsible for working with agencies in matching tasks to the participant’s potential ability, and provide the participant with on-the-job training.
They also support the workplace in the employment and development of people with disability.
For more information contact OCPE on email@example.com.
Last updated: 31 May 2019