Just-in-time and online learning
COVID-19 physical distancing restrictions mean that traditional, face-to-face training options will not be available over the coming months. But that doesn’t mean you should stop your professional development and learning.
COVID-19 disruption has brought many challenges to the public sector. The way we work has changed and we’ve had to quickly adapt to a very different work environment.
More people are now working from home, which requires a new way of thinking and operating. For many, this process has uncovered the need to develop a range of new knowledge and skill sets.
Accessing training as we previously knew it, for now, and the foreseeable future, is impacted due to physical distancing restrictions.
The good news is that training providers are rapidly moving their face-to-face training to virtual/online delivery.
You can use technology to access training anytime, anywhere – it’s that easy!
Here are just some of the virtual/online learning resources that are available for you to access today.
Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs)
A great option for online, self-paced learning and development are Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs).
MOOCs are used for a variety of reasons, including career development, changing careers, supplemental learning, and lifelong learning and are available for anyone to enrol.
Provided by recognisable institutions like Harvard University, Stanford University, Monash University, and Open University Australia (visit their free courses) – courses are pre-recorded videos that are streamed by users.
The biggest drawcard of the MOOCs is that they are free however many MOOC providers do charge a fee if you want your achievements officially recognised with a certificate of completion.
MOOCs provide an affordable and flexible way to learn new skills, advance your career and deliver quality educational experiences at scale.
For more information on MOOCs, go to
Virtual classroom and web-based seminar (webinar)
Both virtual classroom and webinar are delivered live, in real time using Learning Management System platforms or webinar technology like WebEx, Microsoft Teams and Skype for business.
OCPE are currently working with training providers on course offerings that can be delivered in this format.
The following are just some providers of virtual training that may interest you:
- Public Sector Network – a social enterprise that connects government around the globe. Virtual Events calendar.
- AIM Online – a broad range of short courses in Leadership & Management, Communication, Finance, Health & Wellness, Personal & Professional Development, Project Management, Public Sector, Human Resources. Most popular Short Courses.
Take advantage of LinkedIn’s free courses!
Free Learning Path
To support organisations during this challenging time of COVID-19 LinkedIn Learning has made the following courses available either for free or accessible for a one month free trail . These courses cover how to be productive, engaged and stay connected when working from home or other remote environments.
- Working remotely (1h 44s)
- Time management: working from home (1h 25m 24s)
- Productivity Tips: finding our productive mindset (59m 33s)
- Executive presence on video conference calls (34m 54s)
- Thriving @ Work: leveraging the connection between well-being and productivity (41m 25s)
- Managing stress for positive change (57m 59s)
- Building resilience (43m 25s)
- Developing resourcefulness (18m 2s)
- Leading at a distance (32m 37s)
- Managing virtual teams (56m 14s)
- Leading virtual meetings (32m 37s)
- Microsoft Teams tips and tricks (1h 1m 58s)
- Learning Skype (1h 4m 25s)
- Learning BlueJeans Meetings (1h 11m 5s
- Learning WebEx (44m 6s)
- Learning Zoom (45m 11s)
- Becoming mindful at work (2h 3m 43s)
- Managing Depression in the Workplace (1h 3m 10s)
- Balancing Work and Life (28m 51s)
- Managing in Difficult Times (1h 7m 48s)
- Influencing Others (41m 49s)
- Crisis Communication (1h 2m 44s)
- Communicating in Times of Change (51m 58s)
- Counterintuitive Leadership Strategies for a VUCA (Volatile, Uncertain, Complex, Ambiguous) Environment (57m 49s)
- Building resilience as a leader (42m 55s)
- Advice for Leaders during a Crisis (43m 22s)
- Managing in difficult times (1h 7m 48s)
Last updated: 01 June 2021
Share this page:URL copied!