Some of our information has moved to NT.GOV.AU
Recruitment and selection policy
The Northern Territory Public Sector (NTPS) Recruitment and Selection Policy ensures that the most suitable applicants are selected to vacancies, and that NTPS selection processes are:
- Simplified (i.e. not lengthy or unduly process-oriented)
- Consistent across NTPS Agencies
- Fair and Transparent
- Courteous and Respectful of Applicants
- Designed to assess applicants’ suitability based on proven capabilities
- Informative about the reasons for selecting successful applicants
Context - The Merit Principle
Unless otherwise provided by law, NTPS selection decisions must follow the merit principle, which is that the employment of a person: must be based solely on the person’s suitability: to perform the relevant duties; and for employment in the relevant workplace; and for employment in the Public Sector.” A person’s suitability is to be determined: “having regard to the person’s knowledge; and skills; and qualifications and experience; and potential for future development.” (Quotations from the Public Sector Employment and Management Act)
NTPS Recruitment and Selection Policy
To ensure that the merit principle is applied in all selection decisions, and to achieve consistency and best practice in all selection processes, the NTPS commits to the following selection policy:
- Job Descriptions will be reviewed prior to advertising to ensure the selection criteria are current; accurate; written in plain English; identify the level of experience, education, qualifications, capabilities and leadership qualities required for the position; and allow consideration of transferable skills and potential for future development.
- Job Applications will be limited to a one page summary sheet with an attached resume/cv setting out experience, qualification and duties and achievements in previous roles, and contact details for current and other relevant referees.
- Selection panel members will be impartial, be aware of equal employment opportunity principles, and have a clear understanding of the level, duties and requirements of the vacancy.
- Selection panel members will, unless there are unusual reasons, have completed either the NTPS eLearning Selection Training course, or other Selection Training offered or approved by OCPE.
- Selection panels will use eRecruit, Whole of Government uniform selection practices and procedures, and standardised selection report templates.
- Selection processes will be finalised within a maximum of 6 weeks from the date the position is advertised until notification of the outcome, unless there are exceptional circumstances.
- All applicants will receive a high standard of candidate care, and be fully informed of the selection outcome, including a summary of the merit of the selected applicant.
- Managers/Supervisors will take care to prepare for the arrival of new employees and ensure that they are properly welcomed, inducted and oriented to the workplace.
Last updated: 28 November 2017