People Matter is a survey for all employees of the NTPS. Understanding the perceptions of your workforce is critical in understanding all aspects of your agency’s performance, including productivity, and the attraction and retention of employees. The People Matter survey provides evidence to support this understanding and is important to agencies because:
It provides representative data about how well the agency is performing as viewed by employee perceptions including:
- a point in time measure of your employee engagement and job satisfaction, which can have a significant impact on productivity and performance
- information about how well your managers are managing their teams
- information about how well your directors and managers are implementing change
It provides an evidence base and driver to develop a roadmap to focus efforts on performance improvements within agencies and to devise workforce development initiatives.
The information from the reports provide benchmarks to measure improvement and/or change over time.
The 2021 People Matter Survey was held from 22 February to 12 March 2021. The response rate for the sector was in line with 2018, 46%.
Thank you to all those employees who took the time to complete the survey.
- Employee Engagement 65%
- Employee Satisfaction 70%
Whole of Sector Benchmark Report
The whole of sector report is available for all employees to review.
Whole of Sector Response Plan
Following the release of the whole of sector results from the 2021 People Mater Survey in May 2021, a draft whole of sector response plan was published for employee comment and feedback. Over 100 employees provided feedback on the issues identified in survey and the proposed actions.
Updates on the actions in the response plan were published in March and September 2022.
Agency Benchmark Reports
Agency level Benchmark Reports are now available to view:
- Aboriginal Areas Protection Authority
- Department of the Attorney General and Justice
- Department of the Chief Minister and Cabinet
- Office of the Commissioner for Public Employment
- Department of Corporate and Digital Development
- Department of Education
- Department of Environment Parks and Water Security
- NT Health (Department of Health, Top End Health, Central Australian Health)
- Department of Infrastructure Planning and Logistics
- Jacana Energy
- Land Development Corporation
- Department of Legislative Assembly
- Electoral Commission
- Northern Territory Police Fire and Emergency Services
- Power and Water Corporation
- Territory Generation
- Department of Treasury and Finance
- Independent Commissioner Against Corruption
- Department of Industry Tourism and Trade
- Department of Territory Families Housing and Communities
The 2018 People Matter survey was held from 10 - 23 September and achieved the Northern Territory Public Sector’s (NTPS) highest ever response rate of 46 per cent.
A big thank you to those of you who participated.
Insights from the survey provide a powerful basis for making the NTPS a better place to work.
In 2018, the focus was on;
- Employee Engagement
- Employee Satisfaction
- Organization Change
- Individual Performance and Capability
2018 Main Findings Report
The People Matter Survey is for all employees of the NTPS. In 2009, the Northern Territory Government directed the Office of the Commissioner for Public Employment to delivery Biennial employee surveys to collect information from employees on a range of measures.
The employee surveys are an important source of reference for evidence based decision making. In 2018, a ‘pulse’ survey was delivered. A pulse survey is a shorter version of the full People Matter Survey. The shorter survey format enabled a smooth transition to a new commercial survey provider, ORC International. The 2018 pulse survey was held from 10 - 23 September and achieved the NTPS’s highest ever response rate of 46%, equating to 9,851 NTPS employees.
The pulse survey focused on the key indices of Individual Performance and Capability, Organisational Change, Employee Satisfaction and Employee Engagement. The Main Findings Report provides a summary of the findings from the 2018 pulse survey, focusing on the key indices mentioned as well specific areas which have been statistically identified as having the biggest impact on employee engagement.
2018 Northern Territory Benchmark Report
The NTPS 2018 People Matter Benchmark Report is now available. The report provides response data from the most recent survey as well as trend data from 2016 (for comparable questions).For the first time, NTPS data is compared, where possible, to a global public sector benchmark developed by ORC International, the research company engaged to deliver the survey.In addition, key driver analysis has been undertaken for employee engagement, making it possible to report what questions have the greatest impact on engagement across the sector.
NTPS Response Rate and Key Indices:
- Response Rate: 46%
- Employee Engagement: 65%
- Employee Satisfaction: 67%
- Organization Change: 49%
- Individual Performance and Capability: 64%
2018 Agency Benchmark Reports
2018 Office of the Commissioner for Public Employment Benchmark Report
- Response Rate: 91%
- Employee Engagement: 89%
- Employee Satisfaction: 94%
- Organization Change: 84%
- Individual Performance and Capability: 79%
Click here for a full copy of the Office of the Commissioner for Public Employment Benchmark Report .
If you require an accessible version of this document, please contact the survey team on 08 8999 3703 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
To find out more about previous surveys, reports and results, read below.
- 2018 Northern Territory Public Sector Employee Survey Report
- 2016 Northern Territory Public Sector Employee Survey Report
- 2016 Sector Wide Response Plan
- 2014 Northern Territory Public Sector Employee Survey Report
- 2011 Northern Territory Public Sector Employee Survey Report
- 2009 Northern Territory Public Sector Employee Survey Report
Last updated: 01 September 2022
Share this page:URL copied!