Special measures in recruitment
A special measure is a program, plan or arrangement designed to promote equality of opportunity. Find out more about special measures recruitment plans.
Types of recruitment plans
There are 2 types of special measures recruitment plans in the Northern Territory Public Sector (NTPS).
Designated Aboriginal positions
Designated vacancies are reserved for eligible Aboriginal applicants only.
No other applicants are considered.
All applicants selected for a vacancy must:
- meet all essential selection criteria, and
- be suitable at the level of the position.
Priority consideration for Aboriginal applicants
These vacancies are open to everyone including Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal people.
However, eligible Aboriginal applicants are assessed first.
They are offered the vacancy if they:
- meet all the essential criteria, and
- are suitable at the level of the position.
If an Aboriginal applicant is selected, the remaining non-Aboriginal applicants are not assessed.
Agencies may apply for exemptions from a special measures recruitment plan.
The Office of the Commissioner for Public Employment may exempt in circumstances where it would be fair and reasonable.
Further information for the NTPS is available on NTG Central.
Often used for Aboriginal mental health workers or Aboriginal interpreter jobs.
How applicants are assessed
Applicants selected under a special measures recruitment plan must provide proof of eligibility.
Aboriginal applicants who wish to be given priority consideration must, just when submitting their application:
- indicate in the online recruitment system that they are Aboriginal, and
- attach a copy of the required statutory declaration.
If selected, Aboriginal applicants must provide confirmation of Aboriginality before starting.
Applicants must also use the special statutory declaration .
- I am Aboriginal and have, or am in the process of applying for confirmation of Aboriginality from a recognised Aboriginal authority.
- I am accepted as Aboriginal by the community in which I live or formally lived.
If an Aboriginal applicant is unable to get a confirmation of Aboriginality, OCPE may accept other documentation.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
To fil a vacancy under a special measures recruitment plan it must clearly state this in the:
- job description and
If you work for the Northern Territory Government, go to NTG Central to find out more.
Last updated: 24 September 2021
Share this page:URL copied!