Machinery of government

The Northern Territory Government's Administrative Arrangements Orders (AAO) may change from time to time.

The AAO sets out the various responsibilities for ministers as well as the agencies that report to each minister.

A Machinery of Government (MoG) change occurs when the government decides to change the way government responsibilities are managed.

This may involve the movement of functions, resources and people from one agency to another.

A MoG change can be the result of:

  • a change to the AAO
  • the movement of responsibilities and functions between agencies.

A MoG change can lead to the:

  • creation of a new government agency
  • closure of an existing government agency
  • movement of functions and responsibilities from one NTPS agency to another.


You will be consulted on the implementation of a MoG change.

Agencies will determine the best method of communication ensuring you are kept informed of changes.

Consultation offers you a genuine opportunity to influence the outcome of change or how change is implemented.

Consultation requirements are set out in NTPS enterprise agreements.

Agencies can use the consultation checklist to help guide them through the process.

Change to duties

If the functions of your role transfer to a new agency, your duties in the new agency may change.

This will depend on whether a restructure is required within the new agency.

When MoG is finalised, agencies may need to review the impact and a restructure of the organisation may be required.

However, if this does occur you will be consulted on the proposed changes.

Change to work location

You may be required to work in a new location if the functions of your role are transferred.

However, your agency will consult with you prior to implementing any change.

Flexible working arrangements

If your work functions and reporting lines change, your individual flexible working arrangement may need reviewing by the new agency.

Your agency will take into account any operational needs and your personal circumstances.

Each situation will be assessed on its own merits.

If you are not in your normal role/on leave

If you are on leave or not in your normal position, read below to find out how the changes will impact you.

If you are on leave you will be contacted for consultation purposes.

If the functions of your role move to another agency, you will also move to the new agency on the date of the MoG change.

You will start work there when your leave ends.

If you are on workers compensation, you will be contacted for consultation purposes.

If the functions of your role moves to another agency, you will also move to the new agency.

Your rehabilitation rights will continue with the new agency.

If you are on a temporary transfer or higher duties with a different agency and the functions of your nominal position transfer to a new agency, the following will happen:

  • your nominal position will move to the new agency
  • you will start with your new agency at the end of the transfer/higher duties period.

If you are a redeployee at the time of MoG, your status will not change.

If the functions you are currently undertaking are transferred to a new agency, one of the following will happen:

  • you will either transfer or
  • remain in your current agency.

The CEOs of both agencies will determine if you are transferred or not.

Your agency may need to review the role/special project and its functions to determine if there will be a transfer to a new agency or not.

Agencies are required to consult affected employees on the implementation of the changes.

Filling jobs

The CEO and a majority of affected employees need to agree before the process can be followed.

Read more about the process for filling vacancies resulting from a MoG change in clause 12 of Employment Instruction 1 – Filling Vacancies PDF (361.7 KB).

If there is no agreement, the agency’s usual recruitment process will apply.

More information and support

Find out more by:

Employee support will continue to be available through the Employee Assistance Program (EAP).

Public servants can find out more about EAP services and providers on the NTG Central website.

Last updated: 16 September 2020

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!