General employment conditions

There are a range of employment conditions that apply to various roles across the NTPS.  The specific entitlements are set out in the enterprise agreements and relevant laws.

This page contains the general employment conditions for most public servants who are in administrative, professional, technical and physical roles.


Ongoing employment in the NTPS is subject to a period of probation. During this time your conduct and performance is assessed which is in line with Employment Instruction 2 PDF (94.1 KB).

Hours of work

On average, full time employees are required to work either 36:45 hours or 38 hours per week depending on their agreement. Part-time work PDF (713.8 KB) and flexible working arrangements may also be available, depending on the needs of the work place.


All employees in the NTPS are paid fortnightly and the pay period extends from Thursday to Wednesday. Salary is paid into a bank account nominated by the employee.

An employee's salary is set out in the relevant enterprise agreement or Commissioner's Determinations according to the employee’s classification.

Employees are generally entitled to increments within the scale of salary for their substantive classification after completing 12 months service until they reach the maximum salary for their classification. See NTPS Rates of Pay.


Higher duties

If you are temporarily performing the duties of someone in a higher position than you then you may be entitled to a higher duties allowance.

Higher duties allowance means the difference in salary between your normal current rate of pay and the rate of pay normally applying to the job you are filling.

An employee is entitled to an increment at the higher classification when:

  • they have been on higher duties for a continuous period of 12 months or
  • they have accrued a total of 12 months of service in broken periods during the preceding 24 months.

Some positions may require that you must act in the position for a minimum period of time before a higher duties allowance is paid. More information about this is available in your enterprise agreement and in By-law 23.

Northern Territory allowance

If you have dependents you may be eligible for the Northern Territory Allowance as outlined in By-law 26.


If you need to move to another region within the Northern Territory as a result of a promotion or transfer, you may be entitled to a relocation allowance. For more information about this see By-law 27 PDF (12.3 KB).

Travelling allowance

If you are required to travel away from your workplace and must stay overnight you must be provided with reasonable accommodation and meals or an appropriate allowance.

More information is available in the following By-laws:

Other allowances

You may be entitled to other allowances as an employee of the NTPS. Read the By-laws for more information.

Remote locality provisions

Employees who reside in a locality declared as 'remote' by the Commissioner for Public Employment may be entitled to receive:

  • assistance with airfares on a regular basis, for themselves and their recognised dependents, to Darwin or Alice Springs (Fares Out of Isolated Locality)
  • an allowance to assist with the cost of freight for foodstuffs they purchase outside the remote locality

In addition to this they may also be eligible for:

  • rental concessions
  • special study leave provisions
  • an accommodation allowance in conjunction with fares out of isolated locality
  • family travel assistance in conjunction with professional development
  • partial reimbursement of household contents insurance premiums if higher costs are incurred.

For more information refer to Determination 8 of 2015 PDF (481.2 KB).


Information on the Northern Territory Government superannuation provisions is available from the Northern Territory Superannuation Office.

Last updated: 08 November 2016

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!